With Easter weekend just around the corner, this means only one thing for your child: an abundance of sugary, chocolaty treats which can play havoc on
their teeth and gums.
While it’s an exciting time of the year for young ones, the additional sugar intake in chocolate eggs, hot cross buns and other sweet treats can produce
acids which can cause tooth decay.
But don’t despair – with these tips from About Smiles team, you’ll be able to get your child’s teeth through the sugar season:
- Keep sticky treats such as caramels and sweets that cling to teeth to a minimum. Your child’s mouth needs time for the saliva to neutralise the effects
of sugary foods and help plaque prevention. So if they are going to eat sweet treats at Easter try to avoid them snacking throughout the whole
day – one acid attack is less damaging than frequent attacks.
- It may sound strange but it’s best for your child NOT to brush straight after eating. Be sure they leave at least 30 minutes between eating and brushing
their teeth, as brushing too soon after an acid bath from sweet treats can damage the softened tooth enamel.
- In between treats, mix in calcium-rich foods such as cheese, milk, yogurt or nuts. Not only are these healthier options but they have an added bonus
of minimising the acidity in the mouth caused by sugar, reducing the chance of erosion and cavities.
- Make sure your child drinks plenty of water as this helps keep the mouth clean. So, pack a water bottle in their lunch box rather than a soft drink,
and have them opt for tap water whenever they can for the added benefit of fluoride.
- For your little one to maintain a healthy smile all year round, doing the simple things like brushing and flossing is essential. Getting your child
to brush for two minutes, twice a day with quality products will help strengthen their teeth and protect against cavities. If you don’t have one
already, it’s a good idea to invest in a power brush for your child at Easter time as they’re known to remove up to twice as much plaque as a manual
brush. The Oral-B Stages range offers a great choice of Disney themed power brushes designed specifically for children that make brushing that
little bit more fun.
- Arrange a check-up and hygiene appointment during this school holiday! About Smiles Dental Centres offers children's check-up and hygiene appointments at all 3 of our locations!
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.