At About Smiles, we remain committed to helping our patients achieve their dream smiles with state-of-the-art dental solutions. One of the most transformative cosmetic dental procedures we offer our patients is porcelain veneers. They are custom-made to cover the front surface of teeth, enhancing their appearance and providing a natural-looking, enhanced smile.
If you’re on the fence about whether or not you’re a suitable candidate for veneers, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about porcelain veneers in this one-stop guide. That includes everything from the cosmetic dentistry procedure to its benefits and aftercare.
What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are made from a high-quality ceramic material mimicking the natural appearance of tooth enamel. They are bonded to the front surface of teeth to correct various dental imperfections, including stains, chips, gaps and misalignments. Veneers are a popular choice for those looking to enhance their smile in a relatively short time.
While they cost more than composite veneers, they last much longer and can remain in place for up to 15 years or more with proper care and maintenance.
What to expect from the cosmetic dentistry procedure
The journey to a sparkling smile with porcelain veneers typically requires three appointments at About Smiles. Here’s what you can expect at each stage:
1. Consultation and planning — During your initial consultation, our expert dentists will assess your oral health and discuss your aesthetic goals. Our team will take X-rays, measure and model your teeth and create a customised treatment plan. During this first appointment, you will have the opportunity to ask any questions and express any concerns that may be on your mind. Our cosmetic dentists have the expertise to provide you with the best possible advice.
2. Preparation — Once we have agreed upon a treatment plan, we will prepare your teeth for the veneers, removing a small amount of enamel from the surface of the teeth to make room for the porcelain veneers. Rest assured; this process is minimally invasive and performed under local anaesthesia to ensure your comfort. We will take impressions of your teeth and send them to a dental lab where your custom veneers will be crafted. In the meantime, you’ll receive temporary veneers.
3. Bonding — On your final visit, your veneers will be ready for bonding. Before permanently attaching them, we will temporarily place the porcelain veneers on your teeth to ensure a comfortable fit and a natural-appearing colour that blends seamlessly with your teeth. We will make any necessary adjustments to ensure a cohesive match. Once satisfied, our cosmetic dentists will bond the veneers to your teeth using a special adhesive and cure them with a light.
The benefits of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers offer various benefits, making them a favoured choice for many patients. Some of the advantages include:
- Natural appearance — Porcelain closely resembles the translucency of natural tooth enamel, ensuring your veneers will look and feel like your own natural teeth.
- Durability — With proper care, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years, providing a long-lasting solution to enhance your smile.
- Stain resistance — Unlike natural teeth, porcelain veneers resist stains from coffee, tea and other common culprits to help you maintain a bright, white smile.
- Minimal tooth structure removal — Veneers require removing only a small amount of tooth enamel, preserving more of your natural tooth structure than other cosmetic procedures.
- Customisation — Each set of veneers is custom-built to fit your teeth perfectly and match your desired shade, ensuring a natural and harmonious look.
How to care for your porcelain veneers to ensure they last
Taking care of your porcelain veneers is critical to ensuring their longevity and maintaining the shade of your smile for many years. Here are some tips for aftercare after your cosmetic dentistry procedure:
- Practice good oral hygiene — Brush your teeth twice daily with a non-abrasive toothpaste and floss daily to maintain good oral health and prevent the unwanted build-up of plaque and tartar.
- Avoid chewing on hard foods — While veneers are durable, they can chip or crack if subjected to excessive force. Avoid chewing on hard objects like ice or pens, and be extra cautious when eating hard foods.
- Wear a mouthguard — If you grind your teeth at night, wearing a mouthguard can help protect your veneers from any damage during your sleep.
- Regular dental check-ups — Visit About Smiles for regular check-ups and cleanings to ensure your veneers and natural teeth remain in top condition for their desired lifespan.
Book your dental appointment with About Smiles today
Porcelain veneers are a transformative cosmetic dentistry solution to elevate your smile in just a few short visits. At About Smiles, our experienced team is dedicated to providing personalised care and outstanding results, ensuring your journey to an improved smile is smooth and rewarding. We also offer other general dental services and Invisalign to correct tooth alignment. If you’re ready to take the first step towards elevating your smile, contact us today to schedule your consultation.